FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PITTSBURGH POKER OPEN RETURNS TO RIVERS CASINO
Local all-stars to compete prior to ‘Poker Night in America’ recording
PITTSBURGH — Oct. 22, 2015 — This fall at Rivers Casino, local players will have a chance to sit side-by-side with some of poker’s most famous faces. The Pittsburgh Poker Open returns to Rivers beginning Nov. 5 with several weeks of tournaments leading up to the main event on Nov. 20 and 21. To capture Pittsburgh’s premier poker event, “Poker Night in America” – a nationally televised cable and web series on the CBS Sports Network – will record the tournament’s final table on Monday, Nov. 23
Rivers Casino’s poker room will be bustling with activity during the 15 days of the Pittsburgh Poker Open, which will include several satellite events. The first-place prize of the main event is expected to exceed $150,000.
Think you have what it takes to play like a pro? Rivers is holding a contest on its Facebook page for local players to earn a spot in the main event. Using the hashtag #PlayLikeAProPGH, poker-playing hopefuls can submit a video explaining why they believe they should play in the main event. The video submission deadline is Oct. 23 and voting for the best videos will take place Oct. 26 through Nov. 5.
‘Poker Night in America’ Returns to Rivers
Rivers Casino players will once again be treated to a world-class poker experience. Broadcast nationally on the CBS Sports Network, “Poker Night in America” returns to Pittsburgh’s casino Nov. 20–23. Cash games will take place on Nov. 20–22 and the final table of the main event will be recorded on Nov. 23.
“Poker Night in America” has filmed episodes at casinos across the country, and this is the show’s third stop in Pittsburgh. Poker Night spotlights the game and its players — often introducing audiences to surprising insights about some of their beloved poker personalities.
This is the first time “Poker Night in America” will take place in the middle of the action of Rivers Casino’s poker room. Open to spectators, each day will feature two sessions of play from 12–4 p.m. and 5–9 p.m.
Poker celebrities expected to attend include:
- Jennifer Tilly - A Hollywood icon on the silver screen, Tilly is also a star of the poker scene after taking home the gold bracelet in the 2005 World Series of Poker (WSOP) ladies event.
- Phil Laak - Laak is one of the toughest players in the game, with a gold bracelet and World Poker Tour title under his belt.
- David Baker – Better known as “ODB (The Original David Baker),” Baker has won a World Series of Poker bracelet and appeared at four WSOP final tables.
- Dennis Phillips - Phillips captured the attention of every poker player in America when he burst upon the scene at the 2008 World Series as the chip leader coming into the first televised edition of “November Nine.”
- Tom Schneider - Schneider, also known as “Donkey Bomber,” has an impressive four World Series of Poker gold bracelets.
- Shaun Deeb - Fresh off his first gold bracelet, Deeb is one of the best and most respected young players in the game today. His online poker accomplishments are among the best of anyone, with two World Championship of Online Poker titles.
- Matt Glantz - A Pennsylvania native, Glantz is often described as the best poker player in the world not to have won a World Series of Poker gold bracelet.
- Jennifer Harman - Harman has won two WSOP bracelets and has been a strong presence on the poker scene since her first bracelet win in 2000.
“‘Poker Night in America,’ gives our guests an opportunity to play side by side with some of today’s best poker players,” said Craig Clark, general manager of Rivers Casino. “We’re looking forward to a fierce and fun competition among both the local and professional players this year.”
“Poker Night in America” recently visited Rivers Casino in the spring of 2015 for “Brains vs. Artificial Intelligence: 80,000 Hands of No-Limit Hold’Em.” Carnegie Mellon University supercomputing poker program, Claudico, faced off against professional poker players Doug Polk, Bjorn Li, Jason Les and Dong Kim to determine whether the world’s most advanced computer poker program could outplay and out-bluff four of the world’s best poker stars. “Poker Night in America” is slated to air coverage of this one-of-a-kind competition this fall.
For the complete Pittsburgh Poker Open schedule, visit riverscasino.com. To learn more about Poker Night in America, go to pokernight.com.
ABOUT RIVERS CASINO
Opened in 2009, Rivers Casino has been voted a “Best Place to Work” in the Pittsburgh Business Times, a “Top Workplace” in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, "Best Overall Gaming Resort" in Pennsylvania by Casino Player magazine and "Best Overall Casino" in Pennsylvania by Strictly Slots magazine. The casino features more than 2,900 slots, 83 table games, a 30-table poker room, nine distinctive restaurants and bars, a riverside amphitheater, a multi-purpose event space, live music performances, free parking and multiple promotions and giveaways daily. Already, more than $406 million in jackpots have been awarded to players at Rivers Casino. For more information, visit riverscasino.com.
For Rivers Casino
268-932-8760 x 308